Friday 27 November 2015

Attractions at Epcot World Showcase

This is the last instalment of my posts about attractions at Disney World - this time looking at attractions in World Showcase. I haven't listed all the countries, only those that have a ride, movie or gallery to look at.

Agent P - This replaced the Kimpossible missions which were around the last time I was in Disney World. Basically you sign up as a secret agent and choose a country in World Showcase to help out Agent P from Phineas and Ferb. I did missions in the UK, China and France. Unfortunately the Norway mission was not operating due to construction. Agent P is probably aimed at kids but it was enjoyable for adults too. The highlights were collecting a golf ball from a dispenser in a phone box in the UK and telling a CM in China a code phrase to receive a fortune cookie with a message inside.

Mexico
Gran Fiesta Tour - This ride used to just have various scenes from Mexico, but the Three Caballeros were added a little while ago. I had thought that most of the original sets had been removed but I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had misremembered and a lot of the original ride is still intact. I like the Three Caballeros theme song and some of the jokes are mildly funny. The ride is not a high priority for me but it's fun and the wait is rarely very long.

The Mexico pavilion also has a small display about the history of the Aztecs, etc., which I found interesting.

Norway
The main attraction in Norway is the stave church, which houses some Norwegian artefacts. It has recently been updated to be Frozen themed and I thought it was really well done - the old artefacts are all still there, but there are now posters showing how aspects of the movie are based on Norwegian culture. I learnt that Kristoff is based on the Sami.

China
Reflections of China - This is a Circle Vision movie about China. I don't like having to stand up for these movies and I'm not sure that the 360 degree aspect adds much to the movie. I think the narration is a little corny and I'm not that interested in China, so overall I find this quite skippable.

Tomb Warriors - Off the waiting area for Reflections of China is an exhibit about the terracotta warriors, including a scale model of some of the statues. It's quite interesting - I didn't realise before that the statues were actually originally painted.

The American Adventure
American Heritage Gallery - This is an exhibit in the waiting area for The American Adventure (which I'm counting as entertainment rather than an attraction, since it has times listed in the Times Guide). Like much of the American pavilion, there wasn't anything of much interest to a non-American. I think it mainly focused on African Americans throughout the history of America.

Japan
Bijutsu-kan Gallery - The exhibit in this gallery changes fairly frequently. At the start of my trip there was an exhibit about the connections between traditional Japanese mythical creatures and characters in Anime. But partway through my trip it closed down for the installation of a new exhibit which hadn't opened by the time I left.

Morocco
Moroccan Style - This is an exhibit about clothing and jewellery in Morocco, both historical and modern. It was quite interesting, especially since Morocco is a country I don't really know a lot about.

France
Impressions de France - This is a movie about France. Unlike some of the other movies in World Showcase, you get to sit down in comfortable chairs, which made this attraction a nice break from the heat. I like the background music as well. Unfortunately I don't think the movie has ever been updated, so it feels a little bit dated in sections.

Canada
O Canada - This is a Circle Vision movie about Canada. As with the China movie, I don't like having to stand up for the movie. To be honest I think I would get just as much out of watching a YouTube video about Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment