Wednesday 25 November 2015

Attractions at Magic Kingdom Part 2

Here are my thoughts on the remaining attractions in Magic Kingdom; that is, those in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

Fantasyland

Cinderella Castle - This castle doesn't have as extensive a walkthrough as Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland but it does have a few mosaics depicting the story of Cinderella that were worth a quick look. We weren't able to walk all the way through the castle due to refurbishment but the inside of the castle was still accessible from the Fantasyland side.

it's a small world - I'm a big fan of it's a small world. I like the Disney characters in the Disneyland version, but I like the jazz instrumental version of the tune in the African section in Disney World (in Disneyland the African section just had the song in English). Sometimes the wait for this ride was quite short but when the park was busy the wait got to over 30 minutes. The FPP merge point seemed to be quite early so even with a FPP we waited 5-10 minutes.

Peter Pan's Flight - As I said in my Disneyland review, for me Peter Pan is the most magical Disney ride. I think there are some differences between the Disneyland and Disney World versions of the ride, but I don't have a preference for one version over the other. They do have very different queues though, because Disney World has recently added an inside, themed queue. I rode once standby just to see the queue - it was well done but I'd rather use FastPass Plus and skip the queue instead. Even at the end of evening EMH I waited over 20 minutes in the standby queue and I ran out of things to look at in the queue after about 10 minutes. Using FPP skipped the queue but we only waited a couple of minutes

Mickey's PhilharMagic - Overall this is my favourite of the 4D movies, I think because of the music. My only complaint is that both the theatre and the pre-show area having freezing air-conditioning. There is FastPass Plus available but I was easily able to get into the next show from the standby line.

Prince Charming Regal Carrousel - This is a fairly traditional merry go round with horses. The only thing that makes it Disney is the music. We went on it to fill in a little bit of time but it's not a high priority for me.

Enchanted Tales with Belle - This attraction involves a mini-show featuring lots of audience participation followed by a meet and greet with Belle. The queue goes through Belle's house and the pre-show has a magic mirror effect which is very cool. And the two animatronics (the wardrobe and Lumiere) are very impressive. But the bulk of the show is really aimed at young kids. The first time I saw it I was chosen to be a suit of armour but I found that made it difficult to see the show (including the Lumiere animatronic). I used the standby queue because I wanted to see Belle's house. During morning EMH I was able to walk straight into Belle's house. In the evening the wait was about 15-20 minutes just to get inside.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - This ride is very cute although it doesn't rival the version at Tokyo Disneyland. The wait can get long but it was quite reasonable in evening EMH. There is a play area off to the side of the queue for kids to play in while their parents wait in the queue, but not a lot to entertain adults.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - This is the biggest new ride since my last visit. Parts of it are similar to a dark ride with a rollercoaster in between. The dark ride sections are cute and the animatronics with projected faces are very effective. The rollercoaster parts feel similar to Big Thunder Mountain but smoother. Overall it's a fun ride but a little on the short side. There are some interactive games in the queue, but like many interactive queues the amount of time you spend in front of the games is a very small proportion of your total wait in queue. I waited about 15 minutes at the back of the EMH rope drop crowd and about 5 minutes after a pre-rope drop Be Our Guest breakfast. With FPP the wait was also about 5 minutes.

Under the Sea - Journey of The Little Mermaid - The ride here is similar to the version at Disneyland. It's basically a dark ride with scenes from The Little Mermaid. The queue here is much more interesting than at Disneyland and there seemed to be some interactive elements but the wait was never very long so I didn't get to check them out.

Dumbo the Flying Elephant - This ride has moved and doubled in capacity since I last visited. It's not a high priority for me but it's still a bit of fun. I arrived here just as it stopped pouring and spent longer looking for the queue than standing in it.

Tomorrowland

Tomorrowland Speedway - Since actually being able to drive a car I haven't been as keen on this ride but my brother wanted to give it a go. We rode immediately after Seven Dwarfs Mine Train first thing in the morning and were the first people to ride for the day. This actually worked out really well because we didn't have to wait in the queue (which is unthemed, hot and smells like petrol), plus there wasn't anyone in front of us or behind us to bump into us. On the way back to the loading area we stalled and a CM had to help push us, which was an interesting experience.

Space Mountain - This is not quite as good as the Disneyland version but I like it as a thrill ride. The wait with FastPass Plus was very short. At 9:30 in the morning we used a FPP but the standby line looked like it was practically a walk-on anyway.

Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover - This is a peaceful ride that also gives you a nice overview of Tomorrowland. The wait was never very long when I was there, but the travellator to get up to the ride was broken so everyone had to walk up it, which was a bit annoying.

Carousel of Progress - This is a fun nostalgic attraction although it would be nice if it was completely redone, since there is now a huge time gap between the third and fourth scenes. While we were in the first scene someone in one of the other scenes must have stood up, and the theatre wasn't able to rotate, so we had to watch the whole scene again. I don't think there is ever a wait for this attraction longer than waiting for the theatre to rotate.

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - This differs from the Disneyland version in that all the targets are the same shape so you can't tell which are the high point scoring ones. I find it difficult to tell where I'm aiming anyway, so I tend to just shoot pretty randomly. I never waited very long to get on this ride.

Monsters, Inc., Laugh Floor - This is always amusing and because it is live and somewhat based on interactions with the audience it is a little different every time. There is FastPass Plus available but in the standby line I was able to get into the next show anyway.

Stitch's Great Escape - This seems to be the most hated attraction in Disney World. I actually quite enjoy the pre-shows but the show doesn't do much for me. At least the wait is typically short for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment