Tuesday 1 December 2015

Dining at Epcot

Here are my thoughts on the dining options that I tried in Epcot.

Future World West

Sunshine Seasons
This is a foodcourt style restaurant in Future World with a lot of great options (and there aren't really many decent options in Future World), so I visited a few times.

One of the breakfast offerings is a Berry Croissant Pudding (like a bread pudding but made with croissants instead). This wasn't enough for a full breakfast but it was a yummy snack. I could have used a snack credit on the DDP but at $3.40 including tax I paid out of pocket instead.

Another time I was here for breakfast I had the Bircher muesli kid's meal. This was also available in an adult size (about 50% bigger) for $5.50; the kid's meal was $5 and included grapes and a drink so I went for the greater variety. The Bircher muesli itself was really nice and I would definitely recommend this as a breakfast option. Like the croissant pudding, I'm not sure that either the adult or child version would make a full breakfast; I had it a couple of hours after a light breakfast in my room.

I had dinner here using a quick service credit. I had the grilled salmon, which comes with green beans, but the CM asked if I wanted any other sides so I also had corn on the cob. There were lots of other dinner options that weren't fast food. For dessert I had an apple cupcake which looked really cute and tasted very nice (the cake itself was very moist and dense). I had an orange juice for my drink and took the juice and some of the cake back to the hotel with me.



I also came here for a late afternoon snack to tide me over to a late dinner. I had chicken and corn chowder (the available soups change seasonally). It was quite salty but nice and a significant amount of food for a snack credit on the DDP.

Club Cool
The main draw here is the free samples of Coke products from around the world. For the most part I find the fizzy options too fizzy, so I prefer the still drinks, especially the VegitaBeta from Japan. There are also drinks for sale, with a bigger range of bottled Coke products available than at regular drink carts.

Showcase Plaza

Refreshment Port
This stand on the way to Canada in World Showcase sells chicken nuggets and soft serve, but the highlight is definitely the cronut. The cronut by itself is a snack credit on the DDP, but the version with soft serve is not. It's reasonably sized and very very yummy, although I ended up with sugar all over me.

World Showcase

La Cantina de San Angel (Mexico)
I had the Pollo Cascabel here (without onions) which was really nice - I wasn't sure what flavour to expect but there was lots of coriander and just a little bit of spice. I had the churros for dessert, which weren't anything special. For my drink I had a mango Jarritos - this was one of the few Quick Service restaurants in the park that offered bottled soft drinks. I found it amusing that the bottle advertised in big letters that it was made with "real sugar" (reminded me of this Scandinavia and the World comic). The only problem with this restaurant is that at dinner there is nowhere near enough seating - I ended up eating half my meal with my tray on a rubbish bin until someone offered to share their table. I believe the situation is better at lunch, when seating is available inside the nearby Table Service restaurant.

Kringla Bakeri og Kafe (Norway)
I tried a couple of traditional Norwegian snacks here - the lefse and the riskrem. The lefse was really nice with plenty of butter and cinnamon and I would definitely have it again. The riskrem tasted a lot like supermarket bought creamed rice - I much prefer it home-made. The seating here is outdoors and quite crowded.

Weinkeller (Germany)
This is primarily a shop selling German wines and alcohol related merchandise, but they also sell wine by the glass and offer some flights. I had the dessert wine flight. I enjoyed the first two wines; the eiswein had a very strange taste but I'm glad I tried it. I also appreciated that the flight came with tasting notes.

Tutto Gusto (Italy)
This is the bar attached to the Tutto Italia restaurant. It doesn't accept reservations and it was easy to get a table in the late afternoon (it might be a little more difficult at traditional meal times). They offer a huge selection of drinks, a range of flights, and tapas style food. I had the dessert flight which included three different desserts and a glass of Moscato. I didn't think any of it was particularly special; I think I would pick my own desserts and drink if I came back here.



Liberty Inn (The American Adventure)
I decided to eat at this restaurant intending to choose one of the more interesting entrees like the crab cakes, but when I actually got here I settled on an All American burger instead. I regretted my choice - the burger was dry and it had onion on it even though it wasn't listed on the menu. I also discovered here that when there is a choice of sides (e.g., grapes or fries), if you forget to specify the CM will not ask which you want - they will just give you fries. For dessert I had the peach cobbler which was the same as at Columbia Harbour House in Magic Kingdom. When I asked whether I could substitute something else for the drink on the DDP the CM looked at me like I had two heads and said no-one had ever asked him that before (I settled for a lemonade). All in all not a great experience.

Katsura Grill (Japan)
I had the curry rice with chicken cutlet here - it was very nice and a generous serving. For dessert I had the green tea cheesecake, which was nice but didn't have much of a green tea taste. The drink options were fountain drinks or green tea, none of which appealed to me, so instead I had an kid's apple juice. It was tiny but since I had my drink bottle I didn't need a huge drink and I enjoyed it more than I would have any of the other options.

Les Halles Boulangerie-Pâtisserie (France)
We shared a box of macarons here. They were alright, but not any better than macarons I've had back home - I wished we'd gone for pastries instead. I also had an iced cappuccino and was hoping for a nice freshly made drink, but it was actually a coffee-flavoured slushy from a machine. At least it was refreshing.

Crepes des Chefs de France (France)
This cart in France mainly sells crepes, as the name suggests. The regular crepes count as snacks on the DDP, but not the ones with ice-cream. We had the chocolate crepes and I was a little disappointed. The crepes had been pre-made and were just reheated on demand, and didn't taste as good as home-made ones. Next time I would get a pastry from Les Halles instead.

Les Vins des Chefs de France (France)
This is a small drink cart near the water in France. It sells some French wines but its specialty is its slushies. I had the orange and Grand Marnier version. It was very nice and I thought it had a decent amount of alcohol in it.

Yorkshire County Fish Shop (United Kingdom)
This small food stand only offers one option for main course - fish and chips. Unlike most counter service options, this is real fish and chips. The only thing that made it less authentic was that the serving of chips was tiny. The seating is all outdoors here.

No comments:

Post a Comment