Sunday 11 October 2015

Dining at Disneyland Park

Here are some of my thoughts and experiences with dining at Disneyland Park


Main Street, U.S.A.

Plaza Inn - The most consistently recommended food at Disneyland was the fried chicken at Plaza Inn so I felt like I had to try it. The only problem was the adult meal was about twice as much food as I needed and cost twice as much I was prepared to pay. So I went with the kids meal instead (the menu listed the kids meal as baked chicken but there was no issue getting fried chicken), which was a perfect size. The fried chicken was a step above KFC but was not worth the 40 minutes I spent waiting in line for it. I did wonder whether I might have got nicer pieces of chicken with the adult meal. It was nice to get some proper vegetables though (green beans and mashed potatoes), and the food was served on a proper plate with proper cutlery. The strangest thing here was that I was required to show photo ID to pay by credit card (on a bill less than $10) - luckily I had my passport on me.


Little Red Wagon - I went here because it opened here at 10am when not much else was open. The only item on the menu here is a corn dog with a choice of apple slices or chips. I went with the apple slices but they weren't very sweet and the serving size was tiny (maybe half an apple). Although it wasn't listed on the menu, I think you could get the corn dog on its own for cheaper and I would do that if I ate here again. The corn dog was nice but not amazing. This was the only place I came across that sold meals but didn't take credit card.

Cappuccino Kiosk - There are surprisingly few places in Disneyland to get a proper (i.e., espresso) coffee. This was one of them. I had an iced latte which was nice on a hot day and also satisfied my need for caffeine. They took credit card here.

Adventure land


Bengal Barbecue - This restaurant sells various kinds of food on skewers. You could get one skewer as a snack or combine 2-3 for a full meal. I had a Chieftain Chicken Skewer (kind of a sweet and sour type sauce) and a Safari Skewer (bacon and asparagus) - both were very yummy. The place is quite popular, so the wait to buy food was quite long and I could only get a standing table.

Tiki Juice Bar - I couldn't go to Disney without having a Dole Whip, but I was actually a little disappointed - it tasted more fake and less like real pineapple than I remembered. The line is shorter inside the Tiki Room waiting area than outside, but I wasn't in a hurry so I just jumped in the outside line. The line looked long but it moved quickly and I only waited about 5 minutes. This was another location that didn't take credit card.

New Orleans Square

Blue Bayou - I did the Fantasmic package here as my splurge meal of the trip. The reserved location for Fantasmic was amazing and the atmosphere in the restaurant was great (I waited about 10 minutes to get a waterside table) but I was a bit disappointed in the food. For appetiser I chose the gumbo which came out straight away so I assume it was pre-plated. Having never had gumbo before I can't judge whether this one was any good but it was interesting to try. The bread service came out between the appetiser and entree, which was a little odd, but the sweet potato biscuits were really good. For entree I ordered the surf and turf. The steak was very average, not really restaurant quality meat, although it was cooked well. The lobster tail seemed to have no taste at all. The vegetables were nice, but I don't think it's a good thing when the best part of a meal is the bread and veggies. For dessert I chose the creme brûlée, which I think was a mistake - it turned out to actually be a creme brûlée tart plus it was (like the appetiser) pre-plated, so the topping had gone completely soft by the time it got to me. None of the food was terrible, I just expected better for the price (at least drinks were included, which was not clear from the menu).

Café Orléans - This restaurant was highly recommended on the internet, particularly the Pomme Frites and the Monte Cristo. I got the Pomme Frites with the garlic on the side - I was glad that I did because there was plenty of garlic in the dipping sauce. I tossed up over which version of the Monte Cristo to order but eventually went with the cheese version. The first few bites of the Monte Cristo were amazing but together with the Pomme Frites it was way too much food. I wish I had realised that I could get a doggy bag before I had stuffed myself with as much as I could possibly eat. I had planned to get the beignets as well but there was no way I could have fit any more food in. This meal was much better value for money than Blue Bayou was.





Churro Cart - I imagine all churro carts are pretty much the same, but this was the particular one I got my fix at. The churro was nice but less of a novelty now that a lot of places in Perth sell churros, and there wasn't really a lot of food for the cost. This cart didn't accept credit card.

Critter Country

Hungry Bear Restaurant - I had planned to try the fried green tomato sandwich here, but I wasn't hungry enough so I just went with the Bumblebee lemon cupcake. Yummy honey/lemon taste and very cute.



Frontierland

River Belle Terrace - I had a late breakfast here for the cinnamon roll French toast. It wasn't as eggy as I expected but was yummy. And it with came with scrambled eggs and sausages so it was quite filling. I could have chosen bacon instead of sausages but I find American bacon to be borderline inedible so I always pick sausages when it's an option. There was a bit of a wait here, but not unbearable.



Fantasyland

Edelweiss Snacks - This is one of several stands around the parks with very similar menus - turkey legs, chimichangas and corn on the cob. I had a chimichanga which was good for a light meal, although I didn't realise until I started eating it that one of the main ingredients was beans, which would probably stop me from ordering it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment