Sunday 18 October 2015

General Thoughts on Disney World

It's going to take me a while to organise all my notes on Disney World into structured blog posts, so in the meantime here are some general thoughts.

I stand by what I said in my Disneyland posts - there is definitely a sense in which Disneyland is "happy" whereas Disney World is "magical". It's not that one is better than the other, it's just that they have very different feels. The other big difference between Disneyland and Disney World is that Disney World benefits more from advance planning - and since I enjoy the planning process almost as much as the actual trip, I think that makes Disney World a better fit for me.

I think my absolute favourite Disney ride is still the Disney World version of Splash Mountain. Also high up on my list are the other mountains and Peter Pan at Magic Kingdom, Test Track and Soarin' at Epcot, Tower of Terror and Star Tours at Hollywood Studios and the Safari and Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom.

I enjoy the shows at Disney World as much as the rides. I love all the fireworks, especially Wishes. Disney World doesn't have as many parades as it used to but I really enjoyed the new Festival of Fantasy parade. I have a real soft spot for the Dream Along with Mickey castle show at Magic Kingdom, and I love both Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo at Animal Kingdom.

I had the free quick service dining plan for most of my time in Disney World. Obviously it saved me a lot of money, but it also let me try a lot of food options that I probably otherwise would have avoided because of the cost. Beauty and the Beast was one of my favourite movies when I was a kid, so I thought the new Be Our Guest restaurant was awesome. I also enjoyed having high tea at the Grand Floridian. My absolute favourite food item, though was the ice cream cookie sandwich from the Plaza Ice Cream Parlour in Magic Kingdom.

I chose to go to Disney World in September because historically it is a low crowd time. Unfortunately some of the days I went ended up having moderate to high crowds. But since I had spent a lot of time making touring plans and booked FastPass Plusses for the attractions with the longest waits, the crowds didn't affect me a great deal and certainly didn't stop me having a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment